Russ has lived in the great state of Utah for over 30 years and has extensive experience in horticulture, grounds maintenance, and all phases of landscape and hardscape construction.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Make it Homegrown!

So, a question that might be on your mind...is it a good time to plant your garden?  Here in Utah we are experiencing the total opposite of 2011's spring. We are breaking records for high temperatures that have lasted some 80 years! My garden is planted and is thriving in this unusually warm weather.  Warm and dry is better than wet and cold.

Now, this doesn't exactly mean that summer is here and that we don't need to worry about cold or even freezing temperatures.  You just need to be aware of the ever-changing weather conditions. I have my garden blankets and hot caps ready to go if necessary!

TIP:Cool crops that are perfect to plant even in cool weather:  broccoli, lettuce, onions, spinach, peas, radishes, turnips, beats, carrots, cauliflower, potatoes, swiss chard.

My garden spot is only about 15 ft. by 18 ft. I believe that any garden bigger than this is considered a "farm". I don't want a very big job because it's feeding only two people!!

Plant vegetables that you and your family will eat, not items that you won't eat and are growing them just for fun (I've done that!). This year I am planting only the following: two types of broccoli (Packman, Premium Crop), string beans (Slenderette), spinach, and three varieties of tomatoes (Celebrity, Roma, and Cherry (Husky Cherry Red)).

I've planted yellow Marigolds this year for the first time around my garden to thwart insects (I've seen it done before with success!).  The preparation that goes into a garden is very important! I make sure I add a garden compost to the area (several bags) then I roto-till it into the ground and make it very rich and easy to plant. I don't mess with seeds; I go for the 1 gallon tomatoes and 4 inch cup on the other items. I don't have a lot of patience waiting for seeds to come up!!

Question:
What do you plant in your garden?

4 comments:

  1. What kind of sun do the vegetables need? And what kind of watering? I'm an extreme newbie when it comes to gardening. I don't even know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question, Kel. Full sun exposure or at least 6-7 hours at minimum is best to grow just about anything. As for watering, when plants are new I would water almost everyday. When the plants have established themselves, you can water about 2-3 times a week, but heavily.

      Delete
  2. Russ, I planted a late winter garden this year (first time) - pole beans and potatoes, looking toward Leslie's famous creamed peas and potatoes dish. Everything sprouted really well, but the 80-degree weather in March put my beans down hard. I did harvest a bucket full of red potatoes last week!

    My summer garden is usually more tomatoes and beans than anything else. Heat and bugs really do a number on plants down here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect sized garden for two people. The weather sometimes can destroy a garden if the conditions are not right in the soil.

    Jay Mansperger
    http://www.camcontrols.com

    ReplyDelete