Russ has lived in the great state of Utah for over 30 years and has extensive experience in horticulture, grounds maintenance, and all phases of landscape and hardscape construction.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Potted tulips

TULIPS!!! 
I planted the bulbs and pansies late last fall in October.  
They look great in this large pot (seen below) next to my water feature! 


I placed some other pots right next to the rose garden to bring some color to that area of the yard since the roses won't bloom for a while.

I tried to cram as many bulbs in the pots as I could.  The standard is 3 - 4" apart.  My wife's favorite color in landscaping is pink and they turned out really nice this year! The best tulips come from New York from a company called Van Bourgondien.   Don't buy from "big box" stores -- they're cheap and you'll be disappointed in the size of the tulips.  I use a good potting mix from a nursery or garden center.  Because we had a very dry winter, I had to water the pots periodically (every two weeks).  Now I water them about twice a week, depending on the weather. 

Any questions?  Ask me in the comments section below.


Questions I'd like you to comment on:
What do you put in your pots?
What's your favorite color of tulips?
How many tulips do you have in your yard right now?

3 comments:

  1. I meant to do this last year but didn't quite know what to do, but now I'll be ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russ, I have noticed several types of decorative grasses planted around town last year and would like to add them to my landscape. What taller varieties should I look for and where can I find them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like "Karl Forester' ornamental grass. Big plume all summer and fall. With plume it will get about 4 1/2 ft. tall. Linden Nursery, in Lindon or Sun River Nursery, in Orem would have them. Of course, I don't really know where you live.

      Delete